L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Some advice on Size

Got a problem or need advice?

Some advice on Size

Postby psvialli » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:44 am

Some advice please !

My Attribute & Texture map need to be 20480 x 20480 so it is 1:1 when I import my height map as it I 4096 x 5

ATM I am generating them all @ 4096 in HD in L3dt then when I export them I am exporting the Texture Map @ 20480 and resize my Attributes in PS - is that correct or should I generate and work in L3dt @ 20480 or does it not matter ?
psvialli

Re: Some advice on Size

Postby Aaron » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:59 pm

Hi psvialli,

That's probably not what I'd do if I were interested in getting the best texture quality. Resizing the texture from 4096 to 20480 doesn't add any extra detail (just blurry pixels), whereas generating the texture at 20480 adds a lot more detail.

I'd recommend you generate the attributes map, normal map, light map, and texture map at 5x resolution. Please note this will be quite a bit slower, as you'll be generating 25x more pixels.

Please also note that the Sapphire 3D rendering plugin won't be able to display these non-power-of-two textures, and will throw an error like this:

Code: Select all
Sapphire> CsLandscape::InitLandscape error:
 - texture tile size (512) is not divisible by the texture resolution (5)
 - 512 mod 5 = 2 (this must be zero)
 > Sapphire cannot render this tiled texture!
 > To avoid this problem in the future, use only powers of two for the tile size and the texture resolution.

This is nothing much to worry about, unless you need to view the texture in Sapphire before importing the data into your engine. If you do need to view the texture in Sapphire, try an attributes/texture/etc resolution of 4 (giving a size of 16386) then resize on export to 20480.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Re: Some advice on Size

Postby psvialli » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:22 am

Ahhhh many many thanks - that has made my Texture map in game Sooooo much better !

it was worth the wait for the new size !
psvialli

Return to Help and support