L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

L3DTVi2 and 32kx32k pixels mosaics

Got a problem or need advice?

L3DTVi2 and 32kx32k pixels mosaics

Postby notareal » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:28 pm

How to view larger mosaics in L3DTVi2. I have no problems with smaller, single file, but if I load larger 32kx32k (512 mosaics) terrain, I'll only will see skybox and no terrain (L3DTVi2 also suffers a nasty lag). No idea if I should have used default settings in L3DT, but I used "aaron uses this" when it was available :). Result was around 6G in project folder.
notareal
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:32 am

Hi Notareal,

The 'Aaron uses this' presets use, I think, a 4x texture res, which means for a 32k x 32k heightmap the texture is a hefty 128k x 128k pixels. I don't recall having tried rendering a map this large in L3DTVi2 before, but it wouldn't surprise me if L3DTVi2 had a 32-bit index limitation that prevents it from handling maps larger than 32k x 32k or 64k x 64k pixels. L3DT itself had such a limitation until about this time last year (v2.3b, Nov 05), when I bumped the index variables to 64 bit. In any case, I know neither enough Delphi nor enough about the internals of GLScene's terrain renderer to be able to fix this one (and it doesn't help that I don't own a copy of Delphi). This probably won't be fixed until the renderer plugin is going, which is being written in C++ (no ETA yet).

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Xealous » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:16 am

I have this same issue, so if I want to make a map for TSE that is 32k^2 or larger....

I guess terrain is heading to the back burner with the other stuff...

L3DT is great, but next time I think I will wait for finished products before I start a project. (nothing against L3DT, just complaining about TSE not being done yet)

I guess I could do 10km x 10km maps, my 100km^2 dream is probably too ambition atm anyways.

X~
Xealous

Postby Aaron » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:15 am

Hi Xealous,

The maps themselves are fine, but the viewer craps out. At least, the last time I generated a 64k x 64k map it was OK, though I don't do that test on every build.

Anyway, I believe Ben and the crew at GarageGames are rather close to the final release of TGEA, and also the L3DT->Atlas exporter plugin. It's my earnest expectation that the Image of the Month Competition for January will be won by a TGEA screenshot. If it's not, I'll be very disappointed.

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support