L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Export to Atlas feature fails everytime (L3DTpro from GG)

Got a problem or need advice?

Export to Atlas feature fails everytime (L3DTpro from GG)

Postby Exadon » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:27 pm

Bought the L3DT pro from GG)
Tried to export to atlas terrain in many different sizes and formats…each crashed the program before export.
The only one that “successfully” exported was a land size of 1024 x 1024…however this terrain crashed when loaded into torque

Passed it off to another level designer on our team, he has the same results.

Has anyone been able to use this feature and have it work?
Exadon

Postby Aaron » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:24 pm

Hello Exadon,

For the benefit of other users, I'll post my reply here too:

aaron wrote:I can reproduce the export bug on very noisy terrain, with high fractal noise and erosion settings. We think it may be related to the level-of-detail algorithm in the Atlas heightmap converter. With lower fractal/erosion settings, it works every time (at least on our systems). I have forwarded your report to GarageGames to get their input on the cause and fix for this bug. I assure you that fixing this bug is of the utmost priority.

Also, anyone having trouble loading the exported Atlas files into Torque might like to know that Exadon resolved this problem, I believe by updating to TGEA 1.01.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby zortek » Tue May 01, 2007 11:34 pm

aaron wrote:Also, anyone having trouble loading the exported Atlas files into Torque might like to know that Exadon resolved this problem, I believe by updating to TGEA 1.01.
I am also having challenges exporting maps to Atlas format.

I have not had challenges in small maps (up to 16x16). But larger maps (32x32 or larger) crash every time regardless of settings. I have tried this on multiple systems XP Pro and XP-64 Pro with 4-8GB ram and hundreds of gig of free HD space.

I don't receive an application error and there are no significant forensics that I can mine or share. It abends and windows generates the error message.

I am on V2.5 build 26 build date 18-Apr-07 downloaded from GG.

If it is comforting, the 16x16 maps I have tried are picked up by TGEA 1.0.1 with out incident.

Cheers,
Rich Wermske
zortek

Postby Aaron » Mon May 07, 2007 4:16 am

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your bug report. I've just tried an export of 2048x2048 and it went through OK. Can you please send the map definition file (.def.xml) for your map project to aaron@bundysoft.com? This file will allow me to see which settings are crashing Atlas.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support