L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Exporting 8192 x 8192 terrain to Atlas2

Got a problem or need advice?

Exporting 8192 x 8192 terrain to Atlas2

Postby thephringe » Sun May 13, 2007 6:13 pm

Hi all,

I'm hoping I can get some help off someone more intelligent than myself! I've posted this over on GarageGames also but thought I'd post here to reach a few more people.

I've had no problems creating terrains in L3DT Pro and exporting to atlas using the L3DT plugin with fairly small maps. However, after a couple of unsuccessful attempts at creating someting bigger I feel it is time to ask for assistance... I'm trying to export a terrain from l3dt (obviously) - the design map was set up as follows:

X=128
Y-128
Heightfield resolution = 2.00 (giving a resolution of 8192 x 8192)
Mosaic map checked, tile size = 512 (16x16 mosaic)

I have generated all the maps and for the time being at least, I haven't activated high-res maps (although I may want to at a later date). When I export using the L3DT plugin it gets to around 20% on 'Propogating Activation Levels' and then L3DT crashes.

So then I tried to do it using the console commands in TGEA. atlasOldGenerateChunkFileFromRaw16() seems to work, as well as importOldAtlasCHU(), so I then have my atlas geometry file. However, when I run atlasGenerateTextureTOCFromTiles() TGEA crashes on me. The console log doesn't really give me anything useful as I think it crashes before it has a chance to log anything:

Code: Select all
atlasGenerateTextureTOCFromTiles - Initializing atlas file 'atlas.fps/data/terrains/testLargeTexture.atlas'...
AtlasDeferredFile::ensureStreamWritable - switching file into writable mode... This may cause a crash if you have other copies of Torque accessing it!
atlasGenerateTextureTOCFromTiles - Atlas started, processing tiles for 5 deep tree...
atlasGenerateTextureTOCFromTiles - Storing tiles in JPEG format...

Much of it is probably to do with me not understanding what all the variables mean on the various functions. For the above manual way of importing I used the following functions:

atlasOldGenerateChunkFileFromRaw16("atlas.fps/data/terrains/Maps/testLarge.raw", 8192, 2.0, 2.0/512.0, "atlas.fps/data/terrains/testLargeGeometry.chu", 1.0, 5);

Which gives me:

Generating chunked geometry (depth=5, baseMaxError=1.000000)
   o Calculating activation levels...
      - done.
   o Propagating activation levels...
      - done.
   o Writing file header...
      - done.
   o Generating empty TOC...
      - done.
   o Generating meshes...
AtlasOldActivationHeightfield::generateNodeData - Max exceeded! May have paging issues!
AtlasOldActivationHeightfield::generateNodeData - Min exceeded! May have paging issues!
AtlasOldActivationHeightfield::generateNodeData - Min exceeded! May have paging issues!
AtlasOldActivationHeightfield::generateNodeData - Max exceeded! May have paging issues!
      - done.
=== Chunk Statistics ===\
\===== Level    Count    Avg. Size
            0         256      2922.472656
            1          64      11343.859375
            2          16      24916.937500
            3           4      45453.250000
            4           1      104962.000000
========================================
                chunks:        341
           input verts:   67108864
          output verts:     225279

avg verts/chunk:        661
NOTE: verts/chunk is low; for higher poly throughput consider setting the tree depth to 4 and reprocessing.
          output bytes:      12645
      bytes/input vert:       0.00
     bytes/output vert:       0.06
        real triangles:    2159606

Quite a few errors in there...?

I then used:

importOldAtlasCHU("atlas.fps/data/terrains/testLargeGeometry.chu", "atlas.fps/data/terrains/testLargeGeometry.atlas");

which gives no errors, and finally:

atlasGenerateTextureTOCFromTiles(16, "atlas.fps/data/terrains/Maps/TX/testLarge_TX_x%dy%d.jpg", "atlas.fps/data/terrains/testLargeTexture.atlas", 0);

If anyone could a) let me know if there is something obviously wrong with the above and b) explain what the variables in AtlasOldGenerateChunkFileFromRaw16() and atlasGenerateTextureTOCFromTiles() mean that would be great.

If you've got this far - thanks for reading!

Andy
thephringe

Postby Aaron » Fri May 18, 2007 12:14 am

Hi Thephringe,

I can't help with the atlas commands, but I can tell you that the crash from the atlas plugin is due to be fixed in the next release.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Madcowthomas » Fri May 18, 2007 12:24 am

the atlasGenerateTextureTOCFromTiles is what have posted on GG and still waiting for a reply why it fails after the third image.
From the mad cows desk to yours,
Peace
Madcowthomas

Yo...Reggie vacation mom!

"Without imagination we would cease to exist"
William Thomas
(1970-)
Warning!
Burping Babies are the Cause of Global Warming!
Madcowthomas
Doyen

Return to Help and support