World size in kilometers?

Got a problem or need advice?

World size in kilometers?

Postby zzleggam » Mon May 19, 2008 3:08 pm

Hello folks,

I'm following this tutorial.
http://www.bundysoft.com/wiki/doku.php? ... ron:unique

It says when we set the design map size X and Y to 16, the map becomes
1024*1024 which is relavant to 10*10 Kilometers(typo of 1.0*1.0 I think?) world size.
Now, we're going to make a golf course which is 3.0*3.0 kilometers wide. Will setting the design map size X and Y to 64 both, 4.0*4.0 Km, give us enough detail?
Will it be enough to detail such as bunkers, fair ways etc.? I'm wondering if it can only be possible with such a big sized maps like 13100*13100 pixels.

Thanks in advance.
zzleggam

Postby Aaron » Mon May 19, 2008 9:59 pm

Hi zzleggam,

...10*10 Kilometers(typo of 1.0*1.0 I think?)...

Nope. A 1024x1024 pixel heightmap at 10m per pixel (the default resolution; see design map wizard) would cover 10,240x10,240 metres, or 10.2km x 10.2km, as stated in the wizard.

Will setting the design map size X and Y to 64 both, 4.0*4.0 Km, give us enough detail?

Using the default resolution, that would be 40km x 40km. If you set the horizontal scale to 0.73m, you will get a 3km x 3km from a 64x64 pixel design map (4096x4096 heightfield).

Anyway, in answer to your question, a 4096x4096 heightmap at 0.73m resolution would, in my opinion, provide sufficient detail for a golf course. Bunkers and any other interesting terrain geometry are substantially larger than 0.73m (~2ft 5in, in old speak).

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby zzleggam » Tue May 20, 2008 5:29 am

Hi aaron,

Thank you for your support. It is clear now.

So, I exported l3dt data into the atlas format. I had no problem loading it up into my game. But when I tried to edit the map, it was impossible. I wasn't able to add any textures using terrain texture painter, adjust height either. Is it a problem of Atlas? Do you know the answers for this problem?

Anyway, I'd like to retouch the map after exporting. Especially I'd like to paint texture where we need more detail. Could you tell me how I can do that?
And as I'm afraid the detail is not so desirable, I'd like to make use of bump map such as shown in this thread.
Will it be OK? Or is there any better solution?

Thank you in advance.[/url]
zzleggam

Postby Aaron » Tue May 20, 2008 9:44 am

Hi zzleggam,

zzleggam wrote:But when I tried to edit the map, it was impossible. I wasn't able to add any textures using terrain texture painter, adjust height either. Is it a problem of Atlas? Do you know the answers for this problem?

Atlas does not support in-game editing. For real-time geometry editing, Atlas would have to recompile the chunk-LOD meshes, and that would take several seconds per edit (far too slow to be useful). Atlas is designed for fast rendering, at the expeense of long(er) compilation times and reduced flexibility (i.e. no real-time edit).

However, it might be possible to update the texture components of the Atlas files, but as far as I know it's not a supported feature, so you would have to code that yourself.

zzleggam wrote:Anyway, I'd like to retouch the map after exporting. Especially I'd like to paint texture where we need more detail. Could you tell me how I can do that?

If you're talking about re-touching the textures in the Atlas files, see my above comments (i.e. it can't be done). If you want to edit the textures before they're shovelled into Atlas, simply save the project and close L3DT, then edit the map files in Photoshop/GIMP/etc.

zzleggam wrote:And as I'm afraid the detail is not so desirable...

This is a bug in the current version of TGEA, whereby Atlas does not display the high-resolution unique texture data, but instead uses a lower resolution (i.e. blurry) texture level-of-detail. I believe it's on the list of things to fix for the next TGEA release.

zzleggam wrote:I'd like to make use of bump map such as shown in this thread. Will it be OK? Or is there any better solution?

No, I think Ves' solution is the best I've seen so far. Good luck with it!

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support