L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

bulldoze request

It doesn't hurt to ask...

bulldoze request

Postby guy Riessen » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:37 am

bulldoze--good tool, but it would be a great tool, if it was either a real-time brush, or if it was bezier curve system with points and handles, to allow smooth curves. It's difficult to get a nice long curved road effect using multiple short straight line segments.
guy Riessen
Contributing member

Re: bulldoze request

Postby torgado » Wed May 07, 2008 4:40 pm

guy Riessen wrote:bulldoze--good tool, but it would be a great tool, if it was either a real-time brush, or if it was bezier curve system with points and handles, to allow smooth curves. It's difficult to get a nice long curved road effect using multiple short straight line segments.

I second this motion.

Great work, btw, Aaron!
torgado

Postby fusi » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:54 pm

i third this motion but have concerns over the amount of time required to implement it (and the required UI) - the results would be so pretty though!
fusi

Postby Leon PRO » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:47 am

I have my own "for and against", but I want see Aaron`s position :)
-= I am from Russia, sorry for bad English =-
Leon PRO
Luminary

Postby Aaron » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:21 am

Hi Guys,

My general feeling on this is that a full spline editor may be overkill for making curved roads, at least in the first instance.

I'm more inclined to start by making a circular arc brush, where you set the start and end points of the road (as you do now), then set the arc radius by moving the mouse to a point on the arc and left-clicking. As you're moving the mouse to set the arc's radius, the display in Sapphire will show a live update of the road's pathway.

Anyway, that's what I've got planned for curved roads in the near-term. If it turns out that it doesn't work as well as I hope, then I may bump the spline editor up the to-do list.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Feature requests