L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Real World Equivelance

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

Real World Equivelance

Postby RonHiler » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:32 pm

One of the first questions I had, once I had gotten everything working in my game, was how big did I want my map to be?

So I started doing a bit of research into what a real world equivelent map would be, in terms of size. Maybe it will help others to get a feel for how big a map they want.

I took San Fransisco, since it's a smallish city, which is what I want to use for my game (I don't want to use the city itself, just something about that size).

It turns out that S.F is roughly 7x7 miles, or 49 square miles. In metric, that's 11x11 km. So a good small city size is 10x10 kilometers.

But how big is that? I took my house as an example, looking up it's info on Zillow.com (neat site, BTW). It turns out my house, which is about 1,500 sq feet, sits on a lot that is about 5,000 square feet, or 465 square meters (so lets just round off to 20x20 meters).

If you plug that in to your 10x10 kilometers area, you could get 500x500 lots on a map (if they were stacked right next to each other), which is 250,000 lots.

Of course, that doesn't leave room for roads and parks and office buildings and such, but it gives you an idea of the size you are working with with a 10x10 km map.

Hope that's useful info for someone when figuring out your scale :)
RonHiler

Postby nicethugbert » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:22 am

It would be nice to be able to place an object on the map just as a visual reference. Maybe a "life size" ginger bread man running across the terrain at the camera's focus?
nicethugbert
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:22 am

Hello,

nicethugbert wrote:It would be nice to be able to place an object on the map just as a visual reference. Maybe a "life size" ginger bread man running across the terrain at the camera's focus?

Nice idea. I'll put it on the dev plan for Sapphire.

Cheerio,
Aaron.

PS: If you hit spacebar in Sapphire, you will go into 'walking mode' where the camera is 2 metres above the ground surface (approximately head height, for tallish folks). It's not quite the same, but it does help one get an idea of the terrain's scale and the close-up detail (or otherwise). To return to flying mode, hit spacebar again.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby nicethugbert » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:42 am

Hi Aaron, any progress on the "ginger bread man"?
nicethugbert
Doyen

Postby Aaron » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:02 am

Hi nicethugbert,

any progress on the "ginger bread man"?

Sort of. I've added a chunk of code for rendering generalised mesh objects in Sapphire, which I intend to use for the size marker. However, other tasks have pushed their way to the top of the stack (e.g. debugging), so there's no ETA on this feature right now.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:57 pm

Hi Nicethugbert,

Is this sort of what you had in mind?

I can sort out the lighting in time I'll include this in the next update.

Update:

I'm now reasonably happy with the mesh cursor (as seen on YouTube), so I'll include it in the next update. For reference, the dude is about 2 metres tall (~6ft 6in).

Update #2:

And here he is standing on 0.5m resolution terrain:

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby Aaron » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:39 am

Hello again,

I've included the cursor man in the latest developmental build, which is L3DT v2.7 build 9, available now. If anyone doesn't like the little guy, they may disable him using the 'Options->Show cursor object' menu option in Sapphire.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby nicethugbert » Sun May 31, 2009 2:54 pm

That works great Aaron. The green glow is good choice too for visibility. Thx very much.
nicethugbert
Doyen

Postby Brightag » Sun May 31, 2009 6:57 pm

I don't know how I missed this, but very nice work Aaron. Nice addition and I agree about the color choice.
Brightag

Return to General discussion