L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Cannot generate OBJ & MTL from dev build (crashes)

Got a problem or need advice?

Cannot generate OBJ & MTL from dev build (crashes)

Postby davidparks21 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:11 pm

Hi, I downloaded the current development release of L3DT as was suggested by email in the registration notes (thanks for that!!!). Build 2.7.0.19.

But in trying to generate the OBJ & MTL in that build, the file dialogue is forced to open, and, as is the case in the release build, after seeing the file dialogue window in the OBJ export, L3DT will crash.

Do you have any thoughts on how I could work around this? Previously I could just type the export path manually, easy enough, but this option forces the file dialogue window open.

Thanks!!
Dave
davidparks21

Postby Aaron » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:46 pm

Dear David,

Sorry, there is no workaround. I'm a bit perplexed as to why the file dialog box is causing a problem here. The implementation of the file dialog in the OBJ/MTL exporter is textbook stuff, and I never get errors when using it. Do you find problems with file dialogs in other applications, or is it only L3DT?

Also, when L3DT crashes, can you please send me the debugging logfile? (see how to get the logfile)

For the community: does anyone else find problems using file dialog boxes in L3DT?

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby davidparks21 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:00 am

I haven't had any problem with any other apps. I run XP on a IBM T42 laptop, for the most part it's pretty stable and all apps work as expected. The problem with the crashes after the file dialogue are only in L3DT for me.

In the crash I noted the following signature:

AppName: l3dt.exe AppVer: 2.7.0.19 ModName: atmeshdecimator.zeo
ModVer: 2.7.3.0 Offset: 0000262c

And the logs are here, I cleared the log, opened L3DT, opened a project, and performed the OBJ&MTL export:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jmzzj2n5jjz/log.txt

I'll keep playing with things and see if I can find some workaround to the problem in 2.7.0.19, if I do I'll post it.

Thanks,
David
davidparks21

Postby davidparks21 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:56 am

Well this is a bit embarrassing. I just got this to work, and the only thing that's likely to have made a difference is the fact that I rebooted my computer. Having worked in support in a previous job I am kicking myself for not trying the age old solution to 80% of the worlds computer problems. :)

Anyway, I am betting that since you don't hear about this from others that it's an issue isolated to this computer. If I run into it further and can isolate it better I'll post again.
davidparks21

Postby Aaron » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:44 am

Hi David,

Excellent. Please let me know if the bug rears its ugly head again.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby davidparks21 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:23 pm

Well, one new piece of info.

I ran into the crash again and realized what the difference between the attempt that worked and the attempts that failed is. The reboot was not the issue.

If I open a project that I previously saved and try to export it - Crash.

If I open the same project, save it, then try to do the OBJ & MTL export- no problem.

I had previously been trying to pack up an example to email a friend to try on his computer when I hit success and assumed it was the recent reboot, but in fact it was the different workflow I followed.

Anyway, at least I have a workaround - save first, then export. Again, I'll post more if I notice any further anomalies, but as is it's perfectly usable.

Dave
davidparks21

Postby Aaron » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:51 pm

Hi David,

Okay, thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I've still not been able to reproduce this bug under the conditions you report. The best I can do at the moment is review the code for the decimator plugin and run the debugger over it. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby davidparks21 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:04 am

I understand. If I were you I wouldn't spend too much time on it. It sounds like it's only on my machine (1 user) and there's a perfectly suitable workaround, so that one user is plenty happy. I would only be concerned if you get similar reports from others as well.

For completeness's sake: I have noted one further minor detail. If I edit the project, then save it and try to export, it crashes. Only if I start L3DT, open project, save, export in that order have I gotten it to work. I'm using Windows XP as my OS, standard OS auto-updates enabled.

Again, exporting a finished project is a reasonably uncommon workflow, so a quick shutdown & open step is not anything special to add to the process. I'm just glad I have a way to get from point A to point Z.
davidparks21

Postby mayid » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:58 pm

I have the same crash issue when exporting in XP. I rebooted my computer but that didn't solve the proble.çm

I also tried to save my existing project with another name before exporting, but that doesn't work neither. Too bad, i was happy to have a landscape generator to work with blender.

The exporter crashes with obj and with other extensions too.
mayid

Postby mayid » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:03 pm

note that exporting only the heightfield map into obj works.

The problem is with the export obj and mtl option.
mayid

Postby davidparks21 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:36 am

Try saving and closing L3DT entirely.

Then open L3DT and click on absolutely nothing other than file -> open, and open your project

Now, go straight to export to OBJ & MTL. Don't do anything else, don't look at previews of your stuff or anything.

I can't remember if I figured out what the trigger was, but generally editing or touching anything else caused the crash for me (notably looking at the preview during the export process was bad if memory serves me).

But when I realized that if I shut down and restart, and only do the export, I could get through the process without the crash. Since you only really need OBJ + MTL for a final product ready for testing in your app, it's a pretty rare step and it didn't bother me much to have to do the extra shut down procedure.

Rebooting was never an issue for me, it was always shutting down L3DT and going straight to only what I needed. If that doesn't work try simplifying all your actions through the export process, make sure you don't have spaces in file names, etc. I might be a little overboard on this suggestion, but it's probably worth it if the above didn't do it. If you have the same problem as me, it's possible to get through it, and you'll be happy you did once you get the output successfully.
davidparks21

Postby Aaron » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi Mayid,

Thanks for the bug report. I've not yet been able to reproduce this fault, but I don't have a WinXP box at hand to try (should do next week). Seems fine in Win7.

Can you please send me your map definition file (extension is '.def.xml'), to aaron@bundysoft.com. Perhaps you're using settings I haven't tried. Also, can you please send me the logfile. You can find it in the Windows Start menu by clicking on the 'All programs->Bundysoft->L3DT [version]->L3DT logs' shortcut. The log file is called 'log.txt'.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Help and support