L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Importing textures into L3DT

Any and all chit-chat regarding L3DT.

Postby therrywan » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:30 pm

Greetings all,
When creating the alpha map in L3DT, only 4 textures are shown. Is there a way to import my own textures into L3DT?
If so, what file extension should they be (.jpg, .png, .dds, or what)'
therrywan
therrywan

Postby Aaron » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:49 pm

Hi Therrywan,

When creating alpha maps in L3DT, the number of layers created depends on the number of land types in your attributes map. It may be four, it may be more. The limit to the number of layers you can have is something like 65536 layers, but there may be a limit somewhere lower than this (memory, for instance).

If you wish to add more layers, you can edit the land type definitions so as to change their coverage of the attributes map (see land type editor).

If you wish to change the textures used by each land type, you will need to use the material editor (see userguide here).

For an explanation of what climates, land types and materials actually are, please see this page.

Best regards,
Aaron.

PS: Textures for materials can be JPG, BMP, PNG, TGA, DDS or PCX. More formats can be added by plugins [in fact, these formats were added by plugins.]
Aaron
Site Admin

Postby therrywan » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:27 pm

Aaron, I still think you are a genius!
Beside telling me to place my personal textures in C/****/L3DT/version/climate/, you answered many questions that was floating / swimming around in my mind. Now I have to figure out how to change the 4 material choices that are given to me as I create my alpha maps.
Thanks,
Therrywan
therrywan

Re: Importing textures into L3DT

Postby Aaron » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:29 pm

Hi Therry,

therrywan wrote:Now I have to figure out how to change the 4 material choices that are given to me as I create my alpha maps.

It you are given four material choices in the alpha maps wizard, it is because the land types in your attributes map only use these four materials. Thus, to change the materials listed in the alpha map wizard, you can either change the materials used by each land type (in the land type editor), or else change which land types are in your attributes map (say, by selecting a different climate, or by manually editing the attributes map).

I believe the links in my previous post explain how to do this, but if you can't find info on a particular step, please let me know.

Best regards,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to General discussion