L3DT users' community
Large 3D terrain generator

Multiple Dem file import and merg tool request.

It doesn't hurt to ask...

Multiple Dem file import and merg tool request.

Postby Servo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:58 am

It would be nice if one could import multiple Dem files and generate a large hightmap from multiable Gtopo30 Dem files. it would save a step from having to export from VTB and then one would be able do all the editing in L3DT.

basicly I would like to see a tool to alow for easy importing and merging of multiple dem files for ease of generating large hightmap images. that could then be resized inside L3DT set to the proper size for exporting into TGEA Atlas.

being able to have multiple dem files imported for editing and makeing sure tiles match up with out lines showing would be a big step..

perhap have an option for allowing the user to edit the edges of the next terrain tile next to it in sapphire the user can make sure the edges line up. so when exported to TGE one does not end of up with edge seems since the terrains edges are not flat or do not match. perhaps a tool for use in Sapphire that allows one that even the hight on both terrain tiles.

Just mu suggestions on what tool addons I would really like to see.
Servo
Contributing member

Postby Aaron » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:15 am

Hi Servo,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've added DEM to the plugin requests page. I have no intention to re-invent VTBuilder, but DEM support is a reasonable thing to include.

perhap have an option for allowing the user to edit the edges of the next terrain tile next to it in sapphire the user can make sure the edges line up. so when exported to TGE one does not end of up with edge seems since the terrains edges are not flat or do not match. perhaps a tool for use in Sapphire that allows one that even the hight on both terrain tiles.

You're aware that the 'Chunked LOD' algorithm used by TGEA Atlas cannot make two Atlas files match along their edges, right? The process in Atlas that generates the terrain geometry does not 'know' about neighbouring tiles and therefore can't make the LOD continuous across tile boundaries. Thus, making sure that tiles exactly match in Sapphire (which they should do anyway) won't fix the problem in TGEA.

You could report this as a TGEA bug on the GarageGames forum, but I'd expect them to consider this a "won't fix" because it's basically an unavoidable side-effect of using precalculated LOD systems such as Atlas.

If you want to be able to match-up terrain across tiles, I suggest you use a runtime LOD algorithm like ROAM (see paper, example). This is what I use in Sapphire, which renders multi-tile terrain without any such seams.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Aaron
Site Admin

Return to Feature requests